I’m no stranger to making tuna salad but I learnt a new recipe from a friend that I thought was nicer than the one I usually use so I’ve appropriated it!
This tuna pasta salad is both spicy and tangy at the same time and absolutely whets the appetite. Its best prepared a few hours in advance to allow the flavours to meld together and mellow.
Here’s an easy recipe for spicy tangy tuna pasta salad that everyone enjoys.
- 1 can of tuna chunks in spring water
- 2 eggs hard boiled and sliced into any shape you desire
- 1 250g tin of sweetcorn
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- some salad leaves for garnish
- some broccoli florets blanched depending on taste
- 250g Pasta of choice
- juice of half a lemon
- some cili padi or birds eye chilli chopped to taste
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
Serves: 4 persons
- Boil the pasta until al dente then set aside to cool.
- Drain the tuna and flake it with a fork.
- Drain the sweetcorn.
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna flakes with the pasta and sweet corn. Add the lemon juice and salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Add the chopped cili padi and mix well.
- Set aside to chill for about half an hour or longer.
- Before serving, add the blanched broccoli florets, hard boiled egg, tomatoes and salad leaves.
- Serve chilled.
I love making this for bento lunches because its so quick and easy to prepare and I can prepare it the night before. Also, it can be served cold which makes life easier for me. Be careful when adding the chopped cili padi though, too much and it’ll be too spicy! Also, if you have children you might want to omit the cilli altogether. The sugar cuts down spiciness and sourness from the lemon but add sparingly.